If you had the option today, would you rather have Jesus physically present at your side or would you rather have the Holy Spirit?
At first blush I think many of us would opt to have Jesus. No doubt, his presence was a remarkable benefit to his disciples during his earthly ministry. Consider, though, what Jesus teaches his disciples: “I tell you the truth: it is TO YOUR ADVANTAGE that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you” (Jn. 16:7, emphasis mine). According to Jesus it is better to have the Helper, that is the Holy Spirit. He redirected the troubled hearts of his disciples with this same idea: “If you loved me, you would have REJOICED, because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I” (Jn. 14:28, emphasis mine). Knowing the Son and the Father would send the Spirit should have resulted in the disciples’ joy.
Why is having the Holy Spirit better? Ponder some of these reasons:
- He resides within the believer (Jn. 14:17).
- He bears witness to the believer that he is a child of God (Ro. 8:16)
- He communicates with the believer’s heart, soul, and mind (Ro. 8).
- He will never leave the believer (Jn. 14:16).
- He gives illumination to help the believer understand Scripture (1 Cor. 2:6-16).
- He cultivates Christ-like character (Gal. 5:15-26).
- He gifts and empowers the believer for ministry to others within the church (1 Cor. 12).
- He empowers and makes fruitful the believers’ efforts to share the gospel (Ac. 1:8)
- He is an internal deposit guaranteeing a believer will one day be fully glorified (Eph. 1:11-14).
- He is present with all believers wherever they are in the world (Mt. 28:19).
Believer, be encouraged today that Jesus in his loving wisdom has given you a marvelous blessing. His Spirit is with you and that is to your ADVANTAGE!
Post Author: Thomas Hill